Four Days Mount Kenya Climbing Chogoria Route
Day 1: Nairobi - Mt.Kenya Meru Bandas
Depart Nairobi at seven o'clock and drive to Chogoria town arriving in time for lunch. As you have lunch the cook will be shopping for you your food for the next four days. After lunch drive father for 32km to chogoria bandas or camp. Evening we will have nature walk around the bandas through the water points where buffalos antelopes and other animals come to drink water. Dinner and over night at the camp.
Day 2: Meru Mount Kenya Bandas - Lake Ellis
After our having our breakfast, we will begin the days hike by following the track as it leads up through glades of montaine forest, with plenty of wildlife around, arriving our camp on the shores of Lake Ellis in time for lunch. After a short rest period in the late afternoon we will hike to the top of nearby Mugi hill (250m) before returning to camp at dusk.
2950m - 3400m, 3 hours hiking time
Day 3: Lake Ellis - Lake Michaelson
We set early morning after having our breakfast, climbing away from Lake Ellis on its west side, across moorland up to a ridge which eventually joins the main Chogoria trail. We have views of Vivienne Falls and the Gorges Valley as we descend to the most picturesque campsite in the range, at Lake Michaelson. Above the camp are the impressive cliffs of the 'Temple'. Exotic-looking bird species, including the Tacazze sunbird, can be seen close to the camp amongst the bizarre giant plants - principally cabbage groundsel and lobelia. Dinner and over night at the camp.
3400m - 3775m, 3 - 4 hours hiking time
Lake Michaelson - Mt.Kenya Meru Bandas - Nairobi
Depart after breakfast and descend back to the bandas where you connect your transfer to Nairobi lunch en rote arriving in the afternoon.
3300m - 2650m, 4 hours
End of services
- Camping Equipment
- Transport to and from the base of the mountain
- Fullboard Accommodation on the mountain
- Park Fees
- services of an english speaking guide, porters and a cook
- Rescue fee in case of an emergency
- H.F Radio Communication
- Hiking Equipments
- International air transportation to and from Nairobi
- Expenses of personal nature such as visas, travel/baggage insurance,laundry, beverages, tips etc
Required Hiking Equipments
- Sleeping Bag 15°C [4 seasons]
- Rain Trouser
- Rain Jacket [Poncho]
- Balaclava [Hat Woolen]
- Warm Clothes down jacket
- Thermal underwear
- Fleece Jacket
- Hiking Boots
- Walking Sticks
- Head Torch
- Ruck Suck 65L [Carried by porters]
- Day Pack 35 [For your personal effects]
NB:// - Mosquito nets are not required
- You only require bottled water on the 1st day. The rest of the days we usually boil or purify the water with purifing tablets and you just re fill your drinking bottles.
- Proper equipments are vital to safe and enjoyable trek.