5 DAYS CLIMBING MOUNT KENYA CHOGORIA SIRIMON ROUTES
5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes | Mt Kenya Chogoria Route 5 Days 4 Night Climbing
Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria & Sirimon route 5 Days | 5 Days Trekking on Mt Kenya Up Chogoria Down Sirimon
Mt Kenya Climb Chogoria Sirimon 5 Days | Climb Chogoria climb out Sirimon Route on Mount Kenya
Climbing Mount Kenya
5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes; The Chogoria route is our recommended and arguably the most magnificent ascent route to the summit area.
It is the driest route up the mountain and the walk beside the Gorges Valley truly spectacular.
The descent by the Sirimon route takes one through some beautiful forest tracks and completes the traverse of the mountain.
Accommodation on this hike is 2 nights in mountain huts and 2 nights camping. Nonetheless, if you prefer to camp you can do so on all nights on the mountain.
5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes
Day 1: Nairobi to Mt. Kenya Banda’s (2,900 Meters) (3 Hours), 10 Kilometers walk, 950 meters ascent.
0800 Hours: Depart from Nairobi after breakfast and drive through agricultural country up to Chogoria town for lunch. After lunch, we take 4×4 and drive up to the edge of the bamboo forest.
We begin our trekking through the dense bamboo forest for a distance of 10 kilometers to the Mount Kenya Banda’s.
Dinner and overnight at the Meru Mount Kenya Banda’s.
Day 2: Mount Kenya Banda’s – Lake Ellis Campsite (3,600 Meters) (3 Hours), 9 Kilometers, 700 meters ascent.
After breakfast and sorting of porter loads we set off up the mountain at a nice and easy pace. A slightly longer walk via Lake Ellis gives scenic views of Mugi, Ithanguni and the Giants Billiards Table.
We follow the river near road head, upstream for about 3 Kilometers, the foreground scenery and flora is particularly beautiful.
Lunch on the banks of a stream, and then it’s time to cut up the left hand hillside to our camp at about 3,600m, well away from any of the more “touristy” areas.
Dinner and overnight at Lake Ellis Campsite
Day 3: Lake Ellis – Minto`s Camp. (4,200 Meters) (4 Hours), 12 Kilometers, 600 Meters ascent
similar early start. Again well off the beaten track to follow a ridge up the mountain for about 3 hours to eventually join the tourist track on the normal Chogoria route at an altitude of about 4,100 Meters.
Breathe taking views over the Gorges Valley and back over towards Ithanguni and the Northern Moorlands. Lunch is served at a small stream crossing, before continuing for a further hour to the Mintos Hut area at 4200m and our night’s rest.
Afternoon is spent relaxing at camp, though a 10 minute walk to the “Temple” is well worth the effort. This is a 150 meters vertical cliff that gets its name from the position visitors often adopt when peering over the edge – they look as if they are praying.
An early night is recommended as you are attempting the summit next day.
Dinner and overnight at Minto`s Camp
Day 4: Minto`s – Point Lenana (4,985 Meters) to Old Moses camp. (11 to 12 Hours), 785 Ascent, 1,685 Descent, 24 Kilometers
Predawn attempt of the summit starts at 0300 Hours and you hike for about three hours up to Point Lenana (4985 Meters), the hiker’s summit, arriving there in time to watch the African sunrise. Descend to Shipton camp for breakfast.
After breakfast, begin a 5 hour descent via Mackinder`s valley to the Old Moses camp (3,300 Meters). The descent is gentle and it offers ample time to enjoy fascinating scenery which includes the moorlands before reaching the camp.
Dinner and overnight at Old Moses camp
Day 5: Old Moses camp to Nairobi (3 Hours)
After early morning breakfast, descend for 3 hours to the Sirimon Park gate to catch a vehicle for transfer to Nairobi arriving late afternoon.
5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes Prices
Items to bring on the 5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes Package
- Pocket knife
- Water bottle
- Sunscreen and lip salve
- Notepad with pen/pencil
- Whistle, some plastic bags
- Roll mats and insulation pads
- Wooden walking stick/ ski pole
- Waterproof rucksack with day pack
- First – aid kit and insect repellent
- Camera with spare film and batteries
- Gaiters (useful when encountering snow)
- Sleeping bag (covering at least 3 seasons)
- Warm scarf, gloves, mittens and thermal underwear
- Flash light (head mounted preferable) and spare batteries
- Sunglasses or snow – goggles, sun hat, balaclava or woolen hat
- Comfortable hiking boots, light walking trainers thongs (flip – flops)
- Long sleeved shirt with collar, small towel, toiletries and toilet paper
- Sweaters/ jumpers, anorak/ raincoat, water and windproof pants, jackets, t-shirt, several pairs of socks
5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes Rates Includes:
- All Park fees
- All guiding services
- Porter support for the climb
- All food while on the Mountain
- All transportation to/ from the mountain (private)
*Accommodation in mountain huts/ camping where applicable
5 Days Climbing Mount Kenya Chogoria Sirimon Routes Rates Do Not Include:
- Travelers insurance
- Communication charges
- Beverages while not on the mountain
- Personal clothing and equipment (see equipment list)
- Visas, international airfares and airport taxes; meals
- Lunch or dinner in town (option and extra charges direct)
- Sightseeing not included in the package; optional activities
- Tips and gratuities for guides and porter (recommended to be 10 – 15% of climb costs)
- Personal expenses such as transfers to/ from the airport (supplement airport transfer cost applies for tours starting from the airport)